Jal Neti - Hatha Yoga Nostril Cleansing Technique
By Leila El Krekshi
Jal neti is part of Kriya Yoga, (purificatory/ detox technique). The purpose is to cleanse the excess mucus we have and avoid infections. It is beneficial for sinus, stress, migraine, anxiety, depression and allergies etc. It has preventive effect against colds, it improves your concentration, re-balances the autonomic nervous system, and the pranic channels, and improves the flow of your breath.
- Jal Neti can be practiced once a week or even more regularly
- The best time is in the morning
- If done after lunch make sure to wait for at least half an hour
- Do not practice when you have a severe cold
How it is done?
- In one liter jug of lukewarm water, you put 2,5 to 3 table spoon of good quality salt
- Pour water in your right hand. With your left index finger close your left nostril, then gently breathe in with your right nostril the water and let it flow all the way up.
- Close the right nostril, then tilt your head to the left to let the water come out from the left nostril.
- The water and the mucus may come out of your mouth. That is also ok.
- You can do 3 -4 rounds with each nostril.
- When finished blow out the rest of the water and other excess from both your nostrils.