SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
By Orenda's creative chef Nat Serrano
- 250gr sun-dried tomatoes
- 100gr hazelnuts
- fresh herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
- virgin olive oil
1. Soak tomatoes in water for 12 hours approx.
2. Drain tomatoes and dry with kitchen paper.
Important : dry the tomatoes well, there should be no excess water.
3. Roast hazelnuts in oven and let them cool.
4. Blend the tomatoes, hazelnuts, herbs and 100 ml of oil.
Important: Commercial sun-dried tomatoes are often salted to aid the drying process. Check the salt content of the tomatoes before deciding on the seasoning of the pesto.
5. When the pesto is complete, transfer to glass jar and cover with more oil.
Important : cover the pesto completely with a layer of oil to prevent exposure to air and subsequent spoiling.
This pesto keeps in the fridge for several weeks as long as the layer of oil is maintained.
It can be served as a paté on bread or with pasta like a traditional pesto.