We are no longer taking bookings for 2016
Breath …. Relax Yoga retreats Mafia Island Marine Park
18th November -9th December
Welcome to the perfect spot for a relaxing and balancing retreat, on the intimate tropical paradise, Mafia Island Marine Park - Tanzania. Experience the heart of Mafia Island Marine Park in this regeneration yoga retreat and get back in touch with the elements of nature and its simplicity. After few days enjoying yoga, empty beaches with gently swaying coconut palm trees, sailing and other adventures , we are sure you will be leaving us feeling more relaxed, and grounded.
We are delighted to continue our collaboration with Pole Pole lodge to offer holistic yoga getaways on the shores of Mafia Island. Pole Pole’s fundamental philosophy is founded on natural rhythms, harmony with its surrounds, and the soothing ebb and flow of the ocean – and as such, is quintessentially made for yoga. What’s more, Orenda’s founder Leila has lived on the Tanzanian coast, allowing her to absorb its cadence and flavour, and is the perfect person to impart it to you as she guides, teaches and heals.
3 days retreat
- 18 - 20 November
- 25 - 27 November
- 2 - 4 december
- 18 - 22 November
- 24 - 28 November
- 30 November - 4 December
- Daily yoga flow, meditation and Pranayamas
- Diving, snorkeling with whale sharks
- Delicious meals overlooking the Indian Ocean
- Beach and chill out, sailing excursions
- Re-balancing massage treatments
- Warmhearted Swahili culture
- Mafia Island Marine Park unique and diverse marine life
- Exclusive yet unpretentious bungalows
Who is it for
Anyone interested to disconnect from daily routine, gain its balance back and reconnect with nature. Looking for a digital detox, being close to the sea, discover the rich Swahili culture and explore marine life.
Book for 7 days and get 15% discount
Rates for 3 days retreat per person: with possibility to extend
- Single occupancy: 800 usd
- Double occupancy : 650 usd
- Shared Family Bungalow: 525 usd
10% discount for accompanying guests not participating in the retreats
Rates for 5 days retreat per person: with possibility to extend
- Single occupancy: 1350 usd
- Double occupancy : 1050 usd
- Shared Family Bungalow: 800 usd
10% discount for accompanying guests not participating in the retreats
Book before 15 September and get a 15 minutes free head and shoulders massage upon your arrival
Important notice: due to high season and the limited number of bungalows we advise you to book as early as possible to secure your spot. Maximum 12 participants
The philosophy of the retreats…
Our retreats accommodate any level of yogic experience, and are designed for anyone looking to unwind and take a breather from life’s stresses. In Swahili, "pumzi" means "breath" and "pumzika" means "relax". In other words the root of relaxation is breath.
Through gentle yogic flow, pranayama and meditation, you will enter into a natural rhythm of regeneration and balance, much like the lunar pattern of Mafia’s tides. The daily practice during the retreat will develop and refine your inner awareness, with a focus on letting go through both movement and stillness.
Pole Pole’s intrinsically tranquil environment, complemented by healthy meals designed to nourish your being, will put you in the perfect space for attuning to your mind and body’s needs. Our schedule encourages personal time for exploring Mafia’s underwater wonder world, or indulging in one of Leila’s therapeutic Thai massages.
We offer three-day or five-day retreats at Pole Pole with a possibility to extend. A typical day will usually include two yoga sessions, as well as meditation, kriya, pranayama, mandala beach meditation, yogic relaxation, and excursions … All supplemented by delicious healthful food and herbal infusions, plus plenty of scope for your own exploration of the island.
Our intention is to enable exploration, balance and reconnection with the self. In harmony with the elements of nature, Pole Pole provides a sacred space to slow down, calm the mind, and lighten your heart by being in the moment.
- Leila is available for private consultations, personalized yoga sessions, and sublime Thai massages, should you wish to explore these options in your free time.
- Pole Pole, together with our affiliated activities center, Mafia Island Diving, can put together a fabulous range of activities too. Diving, snorkeling, sandbank picnics, sun-downer sailing trips… Mafia’s beauty yields up a wealth of options to explore.
- Daily morning and evening yoga, meditation and breathing techniques class
- 3 meals and early morning tea
- Transfers to and from Mafia airport
- One daily boat excursion in Chole Bay can comprise any one of the following, depending on tides,weather, and availability: Snorkeling (including snorkel equipment); Chole Island (excluding $5 village levy); Kua Ruins; Blue Lagoon; Marimbani Sandbank; Fishermen Island; Sunset Cruise;
- Bottled water, infusions, and juice
- Laundry (2 items per person per day)
- Flights are not included. However the lodge will help you book the national flight to Mafia Island. Contact us
- Marine Park fees** (20usd per person per day) to be paid cash or credit card upon your arrival at the Park's entrance gate
- Any other activities and/or equipment, which will be charged at normal rates
- Extra Thai massage and private yoga sessions offered by Leila to be paid cash or online banking payment
- Any beverages beside mineral water, infusions, and juice
**Tanzanian National Marine Park Fee: 2000 tsh per person per day**
Accommodation and Cuisine:
POLE POLE BUNGALOWS
Exclusive and yet unpretentious, with a peaceful and private atmosphere, Pole Pole is perfect both for those looking for relaxation after a safari and for the ocean-lovers who just can’t get enough of diving, sailing, islets and sandbanks. Romantic without the clichés, it is a perfect honeymoon getaway thanks to its special inspired service.
Seven bungalow suites are subtly blended into a surrounding tropical landscape. Their verandas overlook Chole Bay’s infinite palette of blues, at the heart of Mafia Island Marine Park, with breathtaking views of surrounding islands.
Pole’s cuisine, highly praised by our widely international clientele, reflects diverse culinary and cultural influences, combining an Italian touch of class with local flavours and ingredients. Swahili dinners and tropical fruits and vegetables are enjoyed by our guests in the intimate atmosphere of the restaurant. Vegan meals are available upon request.
Pole Pole organizes a variety of activities and excursions. The Marine Park offers exquisite sites for scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing and the occasion of visiting the local villages. Boat excursions and picnics in isolated islets, sandbanks or islands are arranged daily in accordance with the tidal patterns. In addition to the wonders of its reefs that make it a world-class diving destination, Mafia Island hosts the rare pleasure of swimming with whale sharks.
Do you prefer flexible dates retreats? check our customized tropical wellness retreats in Mafia Island
How to get there? There are many international flights to Dar es Salaam Tanzania. Emirates, Qatar Airways, KLM, Swiss, Turkish Airlines. To reach Mafia Island there are daily flights from Dar es Salaam, which we will help you arrange through the lodge. Contact us for more information
More information on Mafia Island and how to get there